The PEI Cricket Association is dedicated to promoting the sport and culture of cricket for the benefit of all Islanders of all ages from its base at Tea Hill Park in the Town of Stratford.
Cricket has a long and distinguished history on PEI. The Charlottetown Cricket Club, founded in 1850, was the very first sports organisation on PEI. At that time, it was common for local cricketers to take on teams of sailors from every part of the world. So popular was the game that a cricket field was deemed an essential component of the Charlottetown’s Victoria Park when the land was opened to the public in 1873. And the field saw many illustrious names play an innings or two—Henry Cundall, the owner of Beaconsfield at the time, describes in his diary that on 18 June 1884 the Prince of Wales, the future King George V, was part of a Royal Navy squad that played against Charlottetown. The last ground to be built on the Island was on behalf of former PEI Premier James Pope who opened his own pitch at Ravenwood in 1909. The popularity for the sport dwindled in the twentieth century, but cricket is back! Thanks to the generosity of the Town of Stratford, the True Sport Federation and Cricket Canada, cricket has a new home on the Island at beautiful Tea Hill Park.